Listen to This Blog
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on January 20, 2024 by Canny Costumes
Indulge in the joyous spirit of the Chinese New Year with our exquisite Chinese New Year Cookies recipe. Elevate your festivities with these delectable treats that seamlessly blend tradition and innovation. As we delve into the world of rich flavors and cultural significance, this recipe promises not only a delightful culinary experience but also an opportunity to create lasting memories with your loved ones.
History of Chinese New Year Cookies
Originating from the heart of Chinese culinary traditions, these cookies have been an integral part of the Lunar New Year celebrations for centuries. With roots deeply embedded in symbolism and cultural heritage, the cookies symbolize good luck, prosperity, and the sweet moments shared during this auspicious time. The tradition of making and sharing these cookies has been passed down through generations, making them a cherished delicacy during the festive season.
Prepare to embark on a culinary journey with these carefully selected ingredients that bring together the perfect blend of flavors and textures.
For the Cookie Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1 cup red bean paste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup honey
- Edible gold dust for a festive touch
Step 1: Preparing the Cookie Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, continuing to mix until well combined.
1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift the all-purpose flour and salt into the bowl, gradually incorporating them into the wet ingredients. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Crafting the Filling
- In a small bowl, combine the red bean paste, chopped roasted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, and honey.
1 cup red bean paste, 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted, 1/4 cup honey
- Mix thoroughly to create a luscious filling.
Step 3: Assembling the Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out one portion of the chilled cookie dough on a lightly floured surface. Aim for a thickness of approximately 1/8 inch.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles from the dough.
- Place a small amount of the prepared filling in the center of each circle.
- Carefully fold the dough over the filling, sealing the edges to form a crescent shape. Crimp the edges with a fork for an artistic touch.
- Arrange the filled cookies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a bit of space between each.
Step 4: Baking to Perfection
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown around the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 5: Optional Finishing Touch
- If you’re aiming for an extra touch of opulence, lightly dust the cooled cookies with edible gold dust.
Celebrate the Chinese New Year with these exquisite cookies that encapsulate the essence of tradition and innovation. Share these treats with family and friends, and usher in the new year with sweetness and prosperity. May these Chinese New Year Cookies become a cherished part of your festive traditions!