Listen to This Blog
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on September 27, 2021 by Canny Costumes
You need only a few inexpensive supplies, most of which you probably already have lying around the house. It is an easy craft to do with a crowd of children, and the results are great for decorating the house or classroom. Best of all, you will end up with a fun memento to keep and look back on as the children grow.
- Green cardstock (or white and color/paint it green)
- Paper Scraps of black, red or purple paper
- Pens, markers and/or paint
- White glue
- Draw around the children’s hands onto the green cardstock. Older children can pair up and draw round each others hands. Cut out carefully.
- Use the scraps of paper or card to cut pointed oval shapes for long, spiky finger nails and stick them on – embellishing, if you like, with glitter or stickers.
- Draw some spidery veins onto the hands, using your own hands as inspiration.
- Why not add a wart or two? Make them by scrunching tissue paper into a tiny ball and sticking onto the hands with white glue.
Use the hands to decorate a notice-board, the fridge, or the Halloween table (place them on either side of a plate for a humorous effect). If you attach them to the edge of doors with sticky-tack it looks as if someone spooky could be hiding on the other side!
Alternatively, attach plain white paper to the back of the hands and use them as invitations!
- Children could create monster hands. Use cream or brown card and square off the fingers of the handprints before cutting out. Fingernails should be black or perhaps silver, and also square in shape. Use black pen to draw veins and lots of spiky black hair in the center of the hand and knuckles!
- Ghostly hands can be made out of white card. Stretch your handprints out a little to give particularly long, thin fingers. Make fingernails out of grey or silver scraps and decorate with silver glitter. Use pencil or grey pen to draw on veins.
Don’t forget to check out our post on Buy Now Pay Later Halloween Costumes to prep for your perfect Halloween!