Listen to This Blog
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on July 27, 2022 by Canny Costumes
From Baltimore’s BARCStoberfest to the Happy Howloween Contest at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria outside Washington, DC – with prizes including political pooch award, most glamorous get-up, best-dressed couple (pet and owner), and best all-around – pet owners can have a blast at dog-friendly Halloween parties.
Ideas for Halloween Costumes for Dogs
To a dog, there is no difference between a warming coat and an Elvis Presley costume.
Creative ideas include:
- Hot Dog
Dog owners should consider their pets’ personalities when deciding on a costume. Dog with a sunny disposition? Dress her up like a flower. Always watching the neighbors? Dress him up as Sherlock Holmes. Beagle that constantly howls? Sounds like the latest pop singer.
Finding Fun Halloween Costumes for Dogs
The internet is the best place to find a great assortment of ready-to-wear costumes in a variety of sizes. Type “dog costume” into any search engine, and dozens of suppliers will appear. There are no universal sizes for dogs. Additionally, different breeds of dogs have a range of body types, so costumes will fit some dogs better than others. It’s advisable to order early, so there is time to exchange or order a new costume if the first choice doesn’t work.
Local pet stores, Halloween specialty stores, and general stores like Target, Walmart, and Kmart usually offer a selection of dog costumes, especially for smaller dogs. For larger dogs, a child’s Halloween costume could be altered to fit the canine.
Making a costume is another way to create a unique outfit with a better fit. A creative headpiece may be all that’s needed.
It may take dogs some time to get used to the costume, especially if clothes are not worn regularly. Try putting the costume on several times for 10 or 15 minutes before the Halloween event to give the dog a chance to get more comfortable in the costume.
Don’t Have a Halloween Party On the Calendar? Throw One!
Halloween parties for dog owners and their pets can be a fun twist on the traditional holiday celebration. Consider these ideas:
- Hold the party in a pet-friendly environment such as a large fenced-in backyard or park.
- Create a guest list of dogs known to get along – if there’s any question, have dogs meet before the event to ensure compatibility.
- Send themed invitations – address them to the dog rather than the owner for fun!
- Decide on refreshments – make sure you have plenty for dogs and their human companions.
- Consider entertainment options – how about a playlist with dog-themed songs or a dog trainer? How about a parade or costume contest?
- Keep clean-up supplies on hand – plastic baggies, paper towels, and water to rinse will be appreciated.
- Take pictures of the bash – all guests will enjoy seeing party images.
Social dogs enjoy being the center of attention and will probably love the party and parade experience. Dog owners can celebrate the holiday with a canine companion in tow with a creative costume for both.